Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Maturing Man-Child

In late February, my family had to deal with another tragedy - my brother, Sam, had been shot. As head of my household and then head of my Family, I was overwhelmed and consumed with everything. I found myself on automatic pilot and did what needed to be done - organize other family members, talked to doctors, completed medical forms, talked to police detectives and social workers, and the list continued. All of this took place on the first day. I was so tired I could not see straight let alone gather my thoughts. Then, I realized late in the evening that I completely forgot about my son. I did not know whether I remembered to give him lunch money, or if he even ate dinner. I felt ashamed. I remember sitting at my Mom's dinning room table, with everyone asking questions about my brother. I asked "Where is Geoff"? No one knew. I asked again but everyone was talking and questioning my about my brother. I remember holding my head in my hands and my son giving me a kiss on my cheek and handing me a cup of peppermint tea. At that moment I felt better.

As the days went on and I continued to care for my brother, I noticed my son. I did not have to remind him to do his laundry or take out the trash. Several nights when I got in late, he would have the tea kettle on and my mug ready for me to make tea. A few times he would put something in my lunch container. I began to wonder -When did this happen? Is this my son? WOW!!

My son is maturing.

8 comments:

  1. Ya done good ! Give Man-Child a hug from one of his many aunties !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You done good. I'm sure you have acknowledged his growth to him. My MIL said you have to grow with your children. She successfully raised 9 children, so I consider her an expert. Take note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanking God for man-child he was the rainbow in the midst of the storm! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maturing is a good thing...he's made me proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is definitely maturing. And when it counts, he rises to the occasion. Thank God and kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to what the ladies said...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo what everyone else has said. Soon, you will have to leave the child off of Manchild.

    ReplyDelete