Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How Man-Child Spent Spring Break

As always, I never look forward to Spring Break because I have to find extra grocery money. I try to plan little trips for Man-chld to do but as he gets older and work schedule permits, it gets harder each year.

This year, I planned to take a vacation without Man-child. The only problem-my vacation is a week after his. So, I decided that now would be the perfect time for him to start on his Service Learning Hours or Community Service. All high school students must complete 80 hours of Service learning hours in order to graduate. Man-child decided to go to The New Rogers Avenue Day Nursery School.( www.nradn.blogspot.com)

Woo Hoo... this is the day care center that he went to as a child and I was VERY EXCITED. Since he graduated, I have always gone back to visit the instructors and to donate magazines, books or whatever they need for the kids. This is more than just a day care center, they have an outstanding program for kids ages 2- 5 that emphasizes reading, math and science. I also have a great nephew who currently attends the school. The staff is AWESOME and I knew he would enjoy it. Then, I had an "OH NO" moment - Man-child will have to work with little ones. The director, Ms. Ruth Johnson, reassured me that he would be fine.

The first day of his vacation, I got him up at 7 am. Already he started to complain about it being too early. "Well, this is what it' like when you work a regualr 9-5" I told him. I packed his lunch and reminded him that he was working with little people. (Can you tell I was nervous?) When I picked him up at 5 pm, he was grinning and said he had a good day. The boy went home and went to sleep for 3 hrs. :-) All in all, he had a good time. The instructors said he did not have to be told what to do, he volunteered, he cleaned, he read to the kids, and it was a joy having him at the center. (can you see my heart growing with pride?)

Now let's see what happens when the summer program starts.

9 comments:

  1. Glad everything worked out. How can you not like the little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's going to be allright. After all, look at his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, 'Cilla! How wonderful that Man-child had a good time. And how gratifying for you to hear those positive statements about your son. Congratulations, Mom! You did an awesome job!

    Hugs!

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Man-Child! I'm dancing for the both of you. You can relax for now. He's doing great and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! I'm glad he found a service project that holds his interest and makes him feel like he has accomplished something positive. Good job Cilla for both of you giving back to the community you come from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, I'm so proud of Man-child, but elated for you. Don't fret Cilla; he'll be just fine. You've done a good job baby sis.

    Edwina

    ReplyDelete
  7. U know, Sis? We've been thinking he needs a mentor all this time - maybe he needs to BE a mentor! Maybe it serves his personality to be NEEDED & to help others.... he's sounding MORE & MORE like his Moma! ;-) I LOVE reading these posts ALWAYZ!

    ReplyDelete